Monday, December 20

Winter is Almost Upon Us


Arwine Drive Foliage on December 20, 2010
Even here, in North Texas, we're finally getting past the peak of what passes for an extended fall color season. While some trees, such as the one above, retain full fall foliage, others such as the one below, look barren and wintry. Most of the oaks look dead, as oaks are prone to do each winter. Still, it's time to get past all this mild fall weather and get on to WINTER. OLD MAN WINTER. So far, we've only gotten below freezing less than a half dozen times and all that warm clothing and rain gear I stocked up on has been going to waste. It hit 80F today in some parts of the DFW Metroplex, though it never got above a chilly 78 where I was riding. Our visitors from Montreal are, I fear, getting spoiled. I have ridden to work more this December already than the two previous Decembers combined.

Good news, though. There's a chance of some good, cold drizzle on Wednesday night and Thursday morning. Kowabunga, I can't believe I'm cheering at a chance of cold drizzle.

Arwine Drive Foliage on December 20, 2010. Three Doors South of the Top Photo


7 comments:

Apertome said...

Ugh, cold drizzle is never fun! Enjoy it, I guess ...

TrevorW�� said...

I never enjoy cold drizzle - the words 'good' and 'drizzle' just do not go together.

Pondero said...

Well, maybe it'll be at least a little chillier than today on Christmas...

cycler said...

I can bring some cold with me tonight down from Boston!
Steve- I was hoping that we could catch up while I'm down there, but given that we have to do ALL our christmas shopping (the Scientist was immobilized with a severe ear infection all last weekend) I think the chances of finding time to get together for a ride are slim- Too bad, I was hoping we'd get a chance to meet in person! Maybe on some future Non-Holiday trip.
Cycler

RANTWICK said...

Hey, nice tree!

RE: Texas weather - I would swap right now as much as I like winter rides. Things remain treacherous in some spots around town.

All I want for Christmas is some cold drizzle...

GreenComotion said...

We got it good here, don't we?
Peace :)

Steve A said...

Unfortunately, the colorful tree reached its peak after the entry deadline. Perhaps that means it is eligible for the SARAT! Hmm, I know of other late turners...

Post a Comment

No Need for Non-Robot proof here!