Saturday, March 10

Inspired by Hurst

Sometimes, it can get discouraging to be a member of a vanishingly small minority such as a cycling commuter. If I believe the US Census, we're about 1 in a thousand amongst road commuters. We see dangers thoughtlessly placed in our paths simply because people don't think about the one in a thousand very much, though children also ride bikes to school. One such case was noted a bit over a week ago. Here.

I was reminded yesterday that most people really WANT to do the right thing and when something is brought to their attention, they will do so. I received the following email at work yesterday. Now you understand the title of this post. Now, we won't read of a child crippled someday by a dangerous grate, nor will we have some spokesman making excuses or some advocate using the incident to suck off more of my tax money. I find it all inspiring in a simple way. There was a little extra spring in my pedaling on the way home yesterday.

To the City of Hurst, I have only one thing to say. Thanks. You guys ROCK!

Click HERE for a Photo of the Offending Grate



7 comments:

limom said...

That is awesome!
The grate thing I mean.

Pondero said...

I've been playing phone tag with the City Engineer on another matter, and couldn't connect with him on this, but he's a good guy. I'm not surprised that he is making a change.

John Romeo Alpha said...

That is inspiring. Well done.

Big Oak said...

Yay! Good for you! You did a good thing.

Steve A said...

Actually, the City Engineer did the good thing. What's more, the contractor, by fixing the problem without a fight also does well. I hope Pondero gives the City Engineer a big "thanks" from y'all next time they talk.

cafiend said...

Woo Hooo!

GreenComotion said...

Good Karma, Steve!
Thanks for doing this.
Paz :)

Post a Comment

No Need for Non-Robot proof here!