Sunday, January 28

Pay Attention to Motorcyclists

From Youtube

This morning, I saw a motorcycle video that has direct application for how we bicyclists can better operate more defensively (safely) on the road. The video is embedded at the top of this post. While I think the whole video is well worth a watch, it gets down to brass tacks about 2:07 in.

The video, at top, concerned how motorcyclists might operate in order to reduce the liklihood of a motorist up ahead pulling out or making a crossing turn (left turn for us in the US or right turn for our compatriots that operate on the wrong side of the road). I don't know if it might help with following traffic. I suspect not.

This accident is often called the "SMIDSY,' (Sorry Mate, I Didn't See You). The counter to this was termed the "SIAM" (SMIDSY Identification and Avoidance Maneuver." While cyclists ususally ride slower than motorcyclists, most of the other items in the video apply. I've experienced SMIDSY situations myself, such as one related here. The video does not address the greater probability of experiencing a SMIDSY in the dark. It DOES touch on high vis vests, noting that they might add to biker camaflage by breaking up the biker's outline. I'm not sure breaking up the outline really hurts visibility, but it's a point I'd never considered before.

At bottom is another video, focused purely on the SIAM - which the videographer calls the "SMIDSY Weave." The relevant maneuver starts just twenty seconds after the start of the video. It was made in the US so the sightlines are more what I'm used to seeing. It DOES help if we pay attention to motorcyclists!

4 comments:

TrevorW�� said...

Certainly thought provoking stuff....

GreenComotion said...

Very important stuff. Great PSA.
For much more details on such matters, I recommend David Hough's books on Motorcycling.
Cheers!

Khal said...

Spot on, mate.

I often do something to break up the background such as weave, flash my high beams, and stand up on the footpegs. Just something to break up the monotony and get a motorist's attention. Same ideas apply to bicycling. Think of what you need to do to stop blending with the background noise.

Justine Valinotti said...

I think that one thing we have in common with motorcyclists is that when we're among cars and trucks, we are as safe as we are seen--or, more precisely, noticed.

Post a Comment

No Need for Non-Robot proof here!