Tuesday, April 24

Odd Eye Coincidence

Earlier this month, about the same time as Chandra made his "Eye of the Tiger" post, I was riding home after getting morning coffee. Riding a bike around Ocean Shores is about as low stress as things get. You're a lot less likely to get hit by a deer than if you were motoring along, and traffic is low on the massively overbuilt roads. In some ways, Ocean Shores is almost the antithesis of a "Strong Town" since it has no industry and little infrastructure beyond catering to tourists who drive here from other places.

Anyway, to get back to the story, riding home, I noticed a car behind me. Usually, the cars pass with no delay, but THIS ONE followed me for three full blocks. They even followed me onto the loop street where our house is. Next thing you know, the car, full of young men pulled up beside me. For some reason, they seemed to want to chat as they drove alongside, though not about anything in particular. Next thing you know, one decided he needed to play "Eye of the Tiger" for me on Youtube. Yup, the VERY SAME video Chandra included in his post. I really couldn't hear it very well since cell phones really aren't noted for having powerful speakers. During the song, I slowed down a bit since I didn't know these guys and I figured out having them know where I lived might not be wise. As the song concluded, they drove on by and stopped to chat down the way with someone that happened to be taking a morning walk.

And no, I didn't think to get their license number and I didn't even notice what State the plates were.

Still, it seemed a very odd coincidence...

4 comments:

cafiend said...

That is a weird coincidence.

Quick editorial note: third sentence probably wants to read "...more likely to get hit by a deer..."

Symptom of our times, or perhaps the age-old paranoia inducing question: when is a friendly approach just that, and when is it a setup for something mean and nasty?

Steve A said...

Actually, you are LESS likely to get hit by a deer than someone driving along since the deer seem better able to avoid the relatively small and slow bicycle. Pedestrians have it even better than cyclists in that regard, though I've known of deer to attack small dogs.

cafiend said...

Oh wait, I see it. Never mind.

GreenComotion said...

OMG - a nutty coincidence indeed.
Glad all is well.
I still love that song.
Nice post.
Happy WE, Steve!

Post a Comment

No Need for Non-Robot proof here!