Friday, August 14

Learning from a Non-Teachable Moment

This morning, I learned some things when I rode to get coffee. I didn't learn anything in particular from the ride, but rather from the fairly short wait in line at the drive-thru.

It started like this - I left for coffee here in Ocean Shores about an hour later than normal - at 7AM rather than 6. As a result, early-rising tourists were starting to line up.

As a result, I wound up behind a silver Chevrolet Suburban. Like many in line, the driver didn't think to turn off his engine while stopped. Perhaps he was afraid his engine wouldn't restart if he shut it off or maybe he was still a bit sleepy. Who knows? Anyway, it got beyond typical when his cigarette smoke also wafted back. It got even further beyond typical and created the "learning from non-teachable" when he tossed his half-smoked cigarette onto the curb near me close to the wooden siding of the coffee establishment in order to pull forward and order his beverage.

Not considering things fully, I inquired if he realized his cigarette was still lighted and if he wanted it back. As you might expect, the answer came back in the negative. Then I forgot about non-teachable moments and suggested he pick up his (expletive deleted) item. Before you knew it, his passenger came out of the SUV and said "I'll take care of the cigarette but don't cuss at my husband."

At this point, I memorized the SUV license plate number - something I should have done routinely.  This was my first learning from the non-teachable moment. I'll not repeat than number here other than to note the license plate holder was from Tacoma, despite the "Ocean Shores Cares" decal affixed to his back window. It's good to learn from such episodes to do something like routinely mentally noting licenses - just in case.

In my second learning I also learned that some people just think that we on bikes simply ought NOT to be in drivethru lines to start with, even if the walk-up lobby is shut due to a pandemic. Or perhaps they just don't think things through at all.

In my own defense, at least I had the presence of mind to not going beyond calling out that the Suburban shouldn't have been in the drivethru line either, and I also considered what I'd do if the Suburban backed up after getting coffee. Upon reflection, the notion that bikes should not be in drivethrus seems even more common than the notion that they ought not be on any kind of road. My third learning was what if the guy had a gun and even more anger issues? In other words, avoid escalation when dealing with a questionable stranger.

One thing I learned only after the SUV drove off - my barista noted that the SUV had an ash tray and if the driver was going to smoke in it he ought to use that ash tray. Golly, I hadn't thought of that as the passenger yelled at me about how bikes should not be in a drivethru.

Hmm...

4 comments:

Khal said...

People are getting more and more edgy about stuff. Saying the word mask nowadays is a little like walking into that Three Stooges Niagara Falls skit.

Orang Basikal said...

I have begun refraining from any kind of comment on the behavior of strangers since I never know which of them is carrying a loaded firearm and might use it on me on any pretext.

cafiend said...

I have to look out at vehicles idling al the time in the parking lot of our shop, which is shared with a very popular little sandwich shop. Much of the clientele drives enormous pickup trucks and SUVs, which are commonly left running for the duration of their stop. The occupants are usually just running in to pick up their order, but on a busy day this can take a few minutes. If they run into a friend, it lasts as long as they want it to last. I don't know where they get the money to feed such monstrous vehicles, let alone to waste fuel by letting them run. On hot days, people leave the car running for the AC. On cold days, they leave it running for the heat. People are generally self-centered and consider themselves "normal." They can't see beyond their next impulse, unless it's to imagine some paranoid scenario in which enemies of their way of life are going to attack them. I seldom bother to take any action anymore. However, I did have one heartwarming success with a guy who used to leave his truck idling for long periods while he poached our parking lot to make deliveries to a restaurant in a neighboring complex. I left a note on the truck explaining how it was actually better for his engine and fuel economy to shut it off, not to mention better for the atmosphere. He has turned the engine off at this stop ever since.

cafiend said...

Oh, and about that ash tray in the car: I'm sure you've seen people dump the entire contents on the parking lot or even at a stop light.

Post a Comment

No Need for Non-Robot proof here!