Photo from The State Library of NSWFor those suffering from "Golly, maybe I ought to move further away from work" syndrome to get more bike time, here are some solutions that avoid the time wasting activity of actually packing and moving:
- Arrange to conveniently "forget" something at work or home, adding another round trip
- Find a Starbucks you are particularly fond of, necessitating a major detour to include it on your route to/from work
- Do a "on the way home from work Starbucks tour" to make it to every Starbucks and other coffee shop in your metropolitan area
- Make up rules such as "no riding on streets that start with an even number" or "no riding on streets that are named after people"
- Make a point of making a shopping stop on the way home. Do some price comparison shopping via riding to different locales
- Just go somewhere different every day on the way home from work
- I imagine y'all can come up with others now that the theme has been set...
Trust me, living further from work is not a major cycling advantage, though it does impress the uninformed when, in response to an innocent inquiry, you tell them how far you ride. It doesn't occur to them that you don't have to feel guilty about not going to the gym to work out.