Thursday, September 24

Darkness Closes In


Here in North Texas, everyone’s noticed that it’s getting cooler. I wore a long sleeved shirt for the first time this season today. What gets my attention much more than the weather is the rate at which the days are getting shorter, and how the morning commute is gradually becoming an “almost entirely in the dark” affair. The photo above was shot less than two miles from work. Before you know it, I’ll be turning my lights off as I turn into the facility parking lot.

I’m not big on morning rides in the dark. Darkness decreases my safety margin, and that of the motorists who share the road with me. My wheels hit potholes more. Debris is harder to avoid. The Keller MUP gets taken off the route options list. School kids and joggers are harder to see.

On the other hand, it’d be worse if I lived further north. Maybe this is payback for the hot summers…

3 comments:

Doohickie said...

I know exactly what you mean. Here's this morning's sunrise from my commute. I think maybe it's because I started bicycle commuting in the month of February, riding in the dark doesn't seem to bother me as much as most other riders. The changes in the seasons are much more apparent when you ride your bike in. I enjoy that.

GreenComotion said...

Fortunately/unfortunately, I only see Sunrise if it comes in a cup (Nescafe) LOL!

I get to work later than you guys, I think! I go in around 9:30 AM but I stay later than 8 PM on many days.

I think I saw sunrises when I was a student, because of all-nighters!

Be safe out there!!

Peace :)

Steve A said...

Riding in the dark doesn't really bother me. It can be quite pleasant, but TRAFFIC in the dark is a bit different. I don't often hear traffic come up behind me in the day the way I SEE it come up behind me in the night.

Chandra, on the other hand, will be riding HOME at night so he needn't start feeling smug! I won't be riding home in the dark until DST ends. Y'all be safe out there yourselves.

Post a Comment

No Need for Non-Robot proof here!