Friday, August 14

Blinky Headlights

I'm still riding the road bike to work, even though it's now mid August. I've got "be seen" lights on, including a blinky headlight. It really lights up the reflectors, such as those in these Bott's Dots. Actually, it gets a little hypnotizing and is worse than useless for actually seeing hazards in the pavement. In dark areas, I turn off the blink and run it in steady mode.

Looks like it'll be back to Buddy soon for the ride in to work, probably immediately after the HH100...

5 comments:

GreenComotion said...

Steve, Did I just "hear" you say you're going to HHH100?

Lyle said...

I'm considering using blinky lights in the daytime, but at night I strongly prefer lights not to flash.

Steve A said...

I think I agree with Lyle, though I feel that blinky lights have most value at dawn and sunset, when one can see the road readily, but one is not as visible as during full daytime.

On Buddy, the drill is to use a full "on" rear light, PLUS a blinky rear. The front is a straight "see" light, with a "be seen" light in my pocket as a backup. The front, "be seen" light uses the same mount as the "see" light (both are Cateye). I ran out of batteries once - it was scary.

RANTWICK said...

I've never used anything but several small blinky "be seen" lights, even in the dark of winter, but then I am usually travelling roads on which I know the hazards by heart. Snow also makes things brighter in general, of course.

I wouldn't mind a nice powerful light for some true night trail riding...

Steve A said...

Of course, Rantwick rides in the dark of winter on "Pink." Pink laughs at potholes and assorted road crud. If it snows around here, I'm just gonna stay home and take a vacation day...

Post a Comment

No Need for Non-Robot proof here!